Exterior front and back doors add not only a final touch to your home appearance but can make your home more secure. Many people haven’t heard of composite doors, and those that have heard of them often don’t know about the benefits they can provide for your home. Read our handy guide to composite doors and see whether they could be right for you!
Composite doors use a combination of materials to create a door which is superior to UPVC doors and wooden doors. By combining the best materials, flaws in the door design are effectively eliminated, creating a new type of door which is better all round. Composite doors are made from a combination of PVC, wood, GRP (glass reinforced plastic) and foam, and the resulting door is extremely secure and very strong.
You might be wondering why you should invest in a composite door for your home rather than a UPVC or wooden door. Here are some of the key benefits to choosing a composite door:
• Composite doors are far more weatherproof than traditional doors – they will not react to seasonal changes at all (for example a wood door can swell or warp in damp conditions.
• Thanks to a foam insulating core, composite doors retain heat better, making them more energy efficient and saving you money on your energy bills.
• Composite doors look like natural wood – they are designed with a wood grain designed to mimic the beauty of natural wood whilst offering all the benefits of a combination material. They will not discolour or fade and simply need to be wiped with a cloth when they get dirty, so they are supremely easy to maintain!
• You can creat your own design of door.
• Long lifetime - composite doors should last for more than 30 years.
Many people choose uPVC doors for their durability, energy efficiency and easy maintenance. However, uPVC doors do not have a GRP protective skin, which means they can discolour in the sun, reducing their lifespan. What’s more, because GRP skins are available in an attractive wood finish, composite doors can appear like natural wood, which is great for homeowners looking for a traditional front door to match the existing aesthetics of their property.
Because composite doors are so strong and so heavy (the average composite door weighs in at around 75kg), they are next to impossible to break into, meaning your home will be more secure. They are also thicker than a uPVC door, measuring around 44mm thick on average – that’s twice as thick as the average uPVC panel!
Composite doors are a great choice for any homeowner looking to replace their existing doors with a more secure option which is energy efficient, easy to maintain and available in a wide choice of colours and finishes.